Seasonal Grounds Maintenance Worker
Seasonal Grounds Maintenance Worker
Opening Date: May 3, 2022
Salary Range: $14.50 to $17.00 per hour
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
NATURE OF POSITION: Seasonal, full-time positions lasting three to six months and seasonal part-time positions lasting three to eight months from March until the end of October. Perform a variety of grounds maintenance work for the beautification of City parks and cemetery locations; plant, spray, fertilize, prune, irrigate and maintain lawns, plants, trees, shrubs, and landscaped areas; clean and perform minor maintenance of buildings and other park features; and assist with other grounds maintenance projects.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Must be 18 years of age by date of hire; and possess valid driver’s license and good driving record. Experience in maintaining grounds and facilities, farm and/or harvest labor acceptable. Previous irrigation experience helpful.
Bilingual in Spanish.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE:
A completed City application and resume are required to apply. Applications are available on the Human
Resources page of the City of Walla Walla website: https://wallawallawa.gov.
Special application requirements include:
• 3-year driver’s abstract available from the Department of Motor Licensing is required to apply.
Applicants whose experience most closely meets the requirements of the position will be invited to continue in the selection process which will consist of an oral panel interview, reference inquiries and may include a criminal background check. Completed application packages can be mailed to:
CITY OF WALLA WALLA-HR
15 N. Third Avenue, Walla Walla, WA 99362
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (509) 524-7935.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The City of Walla Walla will provide reasonable accommodation to disabled
applicants if requested. Please notify the Human Resources office at least 5 days prior to the need.
JOB DESCRIPTIONS: To obtain a copy of the full job description and class specification for this position, please contact us at: email@example.com or 509.527.4475.
NOTE: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
THE CITY OF WALLA WALLA COMPLIES WITH TITLE VI, ADA, AND OTHER APPLICABLE FEDERAL CIVIL RIGHTS LAWS AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, RELIGION, VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, OR SEX IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
General direction and oversight are provided by the Park Maintenance Supervisor; daily oversight by Ground
Maintenance Worker III – Lead.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City’s core values: Service - Integrity - Collaboration - Equity - Leadership - Community
2. Perform a variety of grounds keeping duties including raking, weeding, trimming trees, fertilizing, and cutting down or transplanting trees and shrubs; edge landscaped areas using weed eaters and tractors; aerate and sweep park and cemetery areas.
3. Perform landscaping and beautification activities around City buildings and grave sites; maintain flower beds and vegetation; pull weeds and ensure proper irrigation.
4. Perform a variety of grave site preparation activities for funeral services; open and close graves; set up tents, chairs, and other items for services; provide assistance to funeral directors as necessary.
5. Assist in the installation, repair, replacement, and service to irrigation systems; inspect functioning of sprinklers and report malfunctioning sprinkler systems to appropriate personnel; assist in winterizing
irrigation systems as directed.
6. Clean and sanitize park restrooms; pick up litter and empty trash receptacles for City grounds, cemetery, and parks areas; blow sidewalks clear of debris; move picnic tables as required; inspect and notify appropriate personnel of safety hazards and repair needs.
7. Spray landscaped areas with pesticides and herbicides according to established procedures.
8. Perform minor and preventive maintenance and repair work on equipment and facilities; assist with related maintenance work including painting.
9. Maintain routine records of work performed, including labor, equipment usage, preventive maintenance and needed repairs.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Demonstrate punctual, regular, and reliable attendance which is essential for successful job performance.
2. Present a positive, professional image; maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; assure excellent customer service with internal and external customers. Act as an ambassador for park and public space users within the City of Walla Walla; answer questions and provide information of City services, events, and areas of interest.
3. Execute assignments, projects, and job responsibilities efficiently and within defined timeframes; work independently and effectively with little direction.
4. Demonstrate good judgment and employ critical thinking to execute duties, identify issues, seek solutions, and recommend improvements in support of departmental goals.
5. Provide assistance to staff and higher-level management; participate in resolving operational or interpersonal concerns; participate in training, meetings, and on committees as assigned.
6. Respect the value of diversity in the workplace and the community.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Methods, tools, and materials used in cultivating and maintaining landscaped and cemetery sites and related areas.
• Basic grounds maintenance procedures including mowing, edging, raking, and weeding.
• Operation and maintenance of hand and power tools and equipment used in grounds keeping.
• Cultivating, fertilizing, watering, and spraying of flowers, trees and shrubs.
• Basic maintenance and repair of irrigation systems.
• Proper methods of storing equipment, materials, and supplies.
• Health and safety regulations.
• Learn basic local cemetery codes and regulations.
• Utilize tools and equipment used in grounds maintenance work.
• Operate a computer and understand the software programs required to enter payroll, use email, enter work orders, and use the Internet.
• Operate light power and mechanical equipment used in the care and maintenance of grave sites, trees, shrubs, and landscaped areas.
• Utilize herbicides, pesticides, and other sprays in a safe and effective manner.
• Maintain records as required.
• Perform first aid and CPR according to established guidelines.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Operate and maintain a variety of grounds maintenance equipment and tools as assigned, including backhoe, tractor, five-yard dump truck, rototiller, aerator, sod cutter, pruner, clipper, snow blower, casket hoist, and small hand and power tools.
Sitting and standing for extended periods of time; seeing , hearing and speaking to exchange information; intermittently stand, walk, kneel, stoop, bend at the waist and lift heavy objects; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of specialized grounds equipment and power and hand tools; reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; standing for extended periods of time; walking over rough or uneven surfaces; digging; carrying, pushing, and pulling grounds maintenance equipment; perform heavy physical labor.
Outdoor environment: subject to driving a vehicle to conduct work; subject to seasonal weather and adverse weather conditions; dust, dirt, chemical fumes, and pollen; working around and with machinery having moving parts.