Human Resources Coordinator
Human Resources Coordinator
Opening Date: April 29, 2022
Salary Range: $ 5,208 - $6,093 per month
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
NATURE OF POSITION
Plan and perform complex administrative office coordination to assure smooth, timely and efficient
office operations for the department; perform technical, clerical, and administrative duties having
department-wide impact; perform receptionist, public relations, and other related office support
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Two years’ experience or college-level course work in business administration, legal secretary, office
management, secretarial training, or related field, or any equivalent combination of education and
experience. Ability to type 50 wpm. Valid state driver's license.
Experience in human resources or a municipal government environment. Bilingual in Spanish.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
A completed City application and resume are required to apply. Applications are available on the Human
Resources page of the City of Walla Walla website: https://wallawallawa.gov.
Applicants whose experience most closely meets the requirements of the position will be invited to continue in
the selection process which will consist of an oral panel interview, reference inquiries and may include a criminal background check. Completed application packages can be mailed to:
CITY OF WALLA WALLA-HR
15 N. Third Avenue Walla Walla, WA 99362
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (509) 524-7935.
The City of Walla Walla will provide reasonable accommodation to disabled applicants if requested. Please
notify the Human Resources office at least 5 days prior to the need.
To obtain a copy of the full job description and class specification for this position, please contact us at:
email@example.com or 509.527.4475.
NOTE: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provision contained herein may be modified and/or revoked without notice.
THE CITY OF WALLA WALLA COMPLIES WITH TITLE VI, ADA, AND OTHER APPLICABLE FEDERAL CIVIL RIGHTS LAWS AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, AGE, DISABILITY, RELIGION, VETERAN STATUS, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, OR SEX IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / MINORITIES AND WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
General direction and oversight are provided by the specified Department/Divisional manager or
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Employees of the City of Walla Walla are expected to model and foster the City’s core values:
Service – Integrity – Collaboration – Equity – Leadership – Community
2. Plan, organize and perform complex/technical administrative office coordination; execute office
functions, activities and communications with department and City staff as well as with citizens, and
outside public and private entities; coordinate purchases; process invoices for payment; maintain
equipment and supply inventories; assure efficient workflow and office operations.
3. Communicate with staff at all levels; act as first point of service with citizens, businesses, and outside
organizations; interact with public in person and by phone; provide procedural information; answer
questions for the public regarding relevant processes and procedures.
4. Compose, prepare, type, proof and edit a variety of internal and external correspondence, reports,
spreadsheets, and other materials.
5. Set up and monitor systems and procedures for administrative support functions; establish filing
procedures and standards; manage and maintain electronic document archiving system.
6. Open, categorize, prioritize, and distribute mail to appropriate personnel.
7. Process all incoming applications; schedule interviews and perform reference checks.
8. Assist staff with required education through the Vivid Safety Training program and completion of on-line
performance evaluations via PerformancePro.
9. Assist in the research and updating of job descriptions to reflect required competencies.
10. Perform salary/benefit research with comparable cities to track current salary and benefit trends.
11. Provide technical clerical and administrative duties having department-wide impact; assist other
professional staff in the department as assigned.
12. Schedule and coordinate arrangements for meetings, travel, reservations, facilities, lodging,
transportation, purchases, shipping, and other details as requested.
13. Provide administrative assistance to boards and committees; attend and record meetings; prepare
reports, agendas, correspondence, and other materials as appropriate and according to decisions and
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Demonstrate punctual, regular, and reliable attendance which is essential for successful job performance.
2. Present a positive, professional image; maintain cooperative and effective working relationships; assure
excellent customer service with internal and external customers.
3. Execute assignments, projects, and job responsibilities efficiently and within defined timeframes, work
independently and effectively with little direction.
4. Demonstrate good judgment and employ critical thinking to execute duties, identify issues, seek solutions,
and recommend improvements in support of departmental goals.
5. Provide assistance to staff and higher-level management; participate in resolving operational or
interpersonal concerns; participate in training, meetings, and on committees as assigned.
6. Respect the value of diversity in the workplace and the community.
7. Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Proficient with modern office practices and procedures; able to operate standard office equipment such
as computers, copiers, scanners, and word processors.
• Proficient producing spreadsheets; able to use database, desktop publishing, automated purchasing
system software applications.
• Demonstrated effective communication skills both orally and in writing including correct English usage,
grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary; demonstrated ability to perceive nuances.
• Ability to read, interpret, apply, and explain codes, rules and regulations, policies and procedures, City
and department organization, operations, policies, and objectives.
• Proficient with basic mathematical skills to accurately add, subtract, multiply, divide and determine
percentages; apply financial and statistical record-keeping techniques.
• Able to maintain records, files and filing systems in accordance with established procedures including
alpha and numeric filing systems.
• Work with discretion to assure proper confidentiality practices and procedures are followed.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Operate business and office machines including multi-line telephone system, personal computers,
terminals, typewriter, copiers, scanners, FAX machine, calculators, and transcription equipment.
Sitting or standing for extended periods of time; intermittently move, stand, kneel down, stoop, bend at
the waist, walk, lift up to 20 lbs. and drive a passenger car or pickup truck.
Work is performed in an office environment with routine public contact and occasional contact with
dissatisfied individuals. Frequent interruptions and lack of private workspace may be present. Work
environment periodically has associated pressures from stringent workload deadlines and schedules.