Under the direction of the Police Chief plan, organize, direct, control and supervise the day-to-day
activities and personnel of the Police Department through division/department supervisors. Assure
the protection of life and property. Direct Department operations including crime prevention and
law enforcement. Ensure that proper and efficient law enforcement programs are carried out in
accordance with approved and accepted law enforcement procedures and techniques. Ensure the
training and evaluation of departmental personnel and the maintenance of all equipment and
facilities. Prepare and/or approve Officer reports. May respond to calls for law enforcement
The Toppenish Civil Service Commission will be conducting an examination to establish an eligibility list for the position of Police Captain. You must be on the eligibility list to be considered for the open position. Salary range $7,682 - $9,987 per month plus benefits. See Police Captain job description on the City website for further details. This is a Civil Service, non- represented position. Please read the complete job description found on the website and this announcement carefully to be sure you meet ALL minimum requirements.
Minimum qualifications are:
• Possess effective written and oral communication skills; and
• Possess a valid Washington State Criminal Justice Peace Officer’s Certification; or
• Is qualified to attend the WSCJTC Basic Equivalency Academy*; and
• Have two years of college, equivalent to an Associate Degree in Police Science or related field and a minimum of four years of continuous experience as a sworn law enforcement officer, two years assigned as a detective, and two years in Police supervision (eight years total); or
• Six years of continuous sworn law enforcement experience, two years assigned as a detective, and two years of supervisory experience (ten years total); or
• Thirteen continuous years of sworn law enforcement experience, two years assigned as a detective, and a combination of education and experience, which would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the job (15 years total).